In 2010 the Big K Guest Ranch and Outfitters introduced pheasant hunting on the property for the very first time. Within the first few weeks the popularity of this hunting opportunity surpassed our wildest dreams. No longer do hunters living on the west side of the Cascades have to make the long drive to eastern Oregon in search of ringneck pheasants, for we have it right here, at the Big K.
Interestingly, ringneck pheasants were first brought into the United States in 1882, and the first release site was barley more than an hour’s drive from the Big K. Today, due to changing habitat, increased predation and man’s encroachment on the land, western Oregon pheasant hunting isn’t what it used to be. That’s why we introduced this pheasant hunting preserve on our property.
Hunters can come on their own, with their own dog, or hire one of our top dog handlers and guides like Steve Waller to assist them. You will be impressed by his pudelpointers. We offer a wide-range of packages to meet the needs of individuals or party members. Our pheasant hunting operation runs from August 1st through the end of March, opening the door to fast-paced upland action that’s hard to find in western Oregon. This is a great hunt to bring the family especially when combined with a number of other hunting and fishing adventures we have awaiting you at the Big K.
There are a few things to remember when you hunt pheasants at the Big K:
- We use 12 and 20 gauge shotguns on the preserve. Bring your own or use one of ours( $25 per gun per day, 12 gauge only)
- We use 4 to 6 shot nontoxic (no lead) 2 3/4″ or 3″ shells. Bring your own or we offer shells for $10 per box.
- Be prepared for all weather conditions so bring waterproof boots and rain gear.
- Hunter orange is mandatory. Hats are available for sale at the lodge.
- All empty shells must be recovered.
- 50% deposit required to secure your reservation
- $2 charge for cleaning each bird.
Chukar Hunting Now Available!
- Base Package Price: 6 birds for $125.00
- Chukars can be added to any hunt for an additional $18.00 per bird
Regular Season Dates and Prices September 1st – Mar 31st
- 3 Roosters and 3 Hens – 157.00
- 5 Roosters – 150.00
- 8 Hens – 180.00
- 10 Hens – 225.00
- 8 Roosters – 240.00
Executive Gold Package
- 10 Roosters and 10 Hens – 525.00
Executive Silver Package
- 8 Roosters and 8 Hens – 420.00
Executive Bronze Package
- 5 Roosters and 5 Hens – 262.50
- Hens – 22.00
- Roosters – 27.00
- Chukar – 18.00
Guide and Guide Dog Rates
- $150 for the first person and $50 per additional person up to 4 people.